Tuesday 1 April 2014

Revlon Parfumerie - Autumn Spice

Hello Ladies! This week's nail news - The Revlon 'Parfumerie' collection of scented nail polishes is now available in the UK!  They were released at the end of last month, and are available in Boots and at larger Revlon counters.  Today's post is the one I've been most excited to get - Autumn Spice.  Pictured here I'm wearing two coats atop NE base, and with two coats of HK girl top coat.

Revlon Autumn Spice - artificial light
Revlon Autumn Spice - artificial light
Autumn Spice is a toasty warm brown foil finish packed with gold and russet toned flecks and a hint of pink.  It's an interesting shade all on its own, so the fact that it's also scented just adds to the fun.  I was really intrigued by the idea of scented polish, these have been around before, and its definitely a gimmick that won't last, but I do love a good nail polish gimmick...

So what's with the smell thing? In the bottle, there is no evidence of any smell other than the usual nail polish smell.  On the nail, when it dries, this polish smelled exactly like a Starbucks Gingerbread Latte.  A sweet, yummy, spicy smell that suits the colour perfectly and made me fancy a coffee the whole damn day.  It smelled just as strongly underneath two layers of topcoat (I used two because the foil finish meant I didn't get quite the gloss I liked with just one coat).  The strength of the smell was about at the level of a scented hand cream - I could smell it faintly all the time, and strongly whenever my hands were near my face.  After a few hours that got annoying.  BUT within 24 hours the smell was very faint, and unrecognisable.  It had a vaguely floral, plasticine smell that wasn't spicy at all.

Revlon Autumn Spice - artificial light
Revlon Autumn Spice - artificial light
So, the smell is a bit annoying, and doesn't last long at all.  I also had massive tip-wear and small chips within 24 hours, so I think that the wear time and smell time are probably comparable.  The biggest problem I had with this polish was on removal.  The gritty foil took a bit of scrubbing to remove, but the polish stained my nails a gross nicotine brown when I removed it.  It took a lot of scrubbing with a nail brush to sort that one out.

The bottles look cute, and Revlon have gone for a vintage feel that I really like, but the brush is very annoying.  That bulb shaped top isn't easy to grip, but the brush head itself is really thin which makes application fiddly.  The formula was fine, a bit dry like all foils tend to be, but nice and opaque in two coats.  I loved the colour when it was on, it's perfect for Autumn.  Even though the smell element to this polish is a bit of a gimmick the shade is interesting enough all on its own to be worth a look.


Revlon Autumn Spice - artificial light
Revlon Autumn Spice - artificial light
The polishes retail for £6.49, and Boots has them on 3 for 2 at the moment.  Given that you can get OPI online for that kind of money I'm not overly impressed.  This is a really pretty shade, but the brush was a pain, the smell was a bit annoying (and short lived) and it was icky on removal.  So overall I'm not very impressed.  I have another two of these (Wintergreen and Bordeaux) so I'll reserve judgement until I've tried those too.

Have you tried these? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment